Last Revised: May 23, 2018
Data Controller|Owner: Jiah Kim & Associates, P.C.
How Jiah Kim & Associates, P.C. holds and uses your information
In this policy, references to you mean the individual whose personal information (as defined below) we collect, use and process.
In this policy, references to the Site mean the website at the following URL: www.jiahkimlaw.com.
What personal information do we collect and process?
We may collect information via our Site, during providing legal services or otherwise because of our dealings with you or one or more of our clients. The type of information we collect and process about you depends upon our relationship with you and the context in which we obtain and process your personal information.
Information You Provide to Us
The personal information we collect, and process may include (without limitation):
- about the services you specifically request
- information you provide to us, for example by completing client surveys
- your name, address and other contact details your occupation and interests
- the information included in any documents you send to us (such as identification documents), or any online services to which you subscribe
- any other information we collect, use and process in the course of our business, such as information provided by our clients (including information relating to employees of our clients).
In this policy, we refer to the information above as personal information.
When you give us personal information about another individual you must ensure that the disclosure is undertaken in compliance with applicable data protection law.
We may use technology to track the patterns of behavior of visitors to our Site. This can include using a “cookie” which would be stored on your browser or the hard drive of your computing device.
How do we use your personal information?
We use personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide, improve and market our services
- to manage our business and our relationship with you and our clients
- to undertake analysis and research to help us manage our business
- to understand how our Site is used and to improve our Site
- to fulfil our legal, professional and ethical obligations
- to enforce or protect any of our rights, property or safety (or those of our members, employees or clients)
- for other legitimate business purposes.
We may also use your personal information to contact you (including by telephone, email and other electronic means) about our services and events and to provide you with legal updates and briefings. If you no longer wish to receive information or marketing from us, please contact us at email@example.com . To understand how your own personal information is processed, you may need to refer to any personal communications you have received or contact us to ask about your personal circumstances.
With whom do we share your personal information?
We will share your personal information with third parties (such as the police and other law enforcement agencies) where we are under a duty to do so in order to comply with any legal, professional or ethical obligation (such as to comply with our anti-money laundering obligations), or in order to enforce or protect any of our rights, property or safety (or those of our members, employees or clients).
In providing our services, we may give information and data to third parties such as expert witnesses, courts or tribunals, and other professional advisers.
We may also share your personal information with third parties who provide services to us. When we do so, they are required to act in accordance with our instructions and keep your personal information secure.
If we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose personal information held by us to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. If substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party (or are subject to a reorganization), personal information held by us will be one of the transferred assets.
Lawful Bases of Processing
We will only collect and process personal information about you where we have lawful bases. Lawful bases of processing are as following:
- Users have given their consent for one or more specific purposes. Note: Under some legislations we may be allowed to process Personal Information until the User objects to such processing (“opt-out”), without having to rely on consent or any other of the following legal bases. This, however, does not apply, whenever the processing of Personal Information is subject to European data protection law;
- provision of Information is necessary for the performance of an agreement with the User and/or for any pre-contractual obligations thereof;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject;
- processing is related to a task that is carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us or by a third party.
In any case, we will gladly help to clarify the specific legal basis that applies to the processing, and in particular whether the provision of Personal Information is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract.
Third party websites
Personal Information shall be processed and stored for as long as required by the purpose they have been collected for.
- Personal Information collected for purposes related to the performance of a contract between us and the User shall be retained until such contract has been fully performed.
- Personal Information collected for the purposes of our legitimate interests shall be retained as long as needed to fulfill such purposes. Users may find specific information regarding the legitimate interests pursued by us within the relevant sections of this document or by contacting us.
We may be allowed to retain Personal Information for a longer period whenever the User has given consent to such processing, as long as such consent is not withdrawn. Furthermore, we may be obliged to retain Personal Information for a longer period whenever required to do so for the performance of a legal obligation or upon order of an authority.
Once the retention period expires, Personal Information shall be deleted. Therefore, the right to access, the right to erasure, the right to rectification and the right to data portability cannot be enforced after expiration of the retention period.
We may from time to time send you legal updates and mailings relating to our seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you. If you would prefer not to receive marketing mailings from us, you may unsubscribe from these marketing mailings by following the unsubscribe instructions in any such message or contact us. Your email address will be removed from our marketing list. Please allow us a reasonable period of time in order to satisfy your request.
Rights to Access And Control Your Personal Data
If personal information you have submitted through any of the Sites is no longer accurate, current, or complete, and you wish to update it, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon appropriate request, we will be glad to update or amend your information, but we reserve the right to use information obtained previously to verify your identity or take other actions that we believe are appropriate and lawful. Furthermore, you may also oppose the processing or transferring of your personal information to the extent the laws of your country of residence require you to have a legitimate reason to do so. We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
In addition, you have following rights regarding your Personal Information processed by us .
- Withdraw your consent at any time. You have the right to withdraw consent where you have previously given consent to the processing of your Personal Information
- Object to processing of your Information. You have the right to object to the processing of Personal Information if the processing is carried out on a legal basis other than consent.
- Restrict the processing of your Information. You have the right, under certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of your Information. In this case, we will not process your Information for any purpose other than storing it.
- Have your Personal Information deleted or otherwise removed. You have the right, under certain circumstances, to obtain the erasure of your Information from us.
- Receive your Information and have it transferred to another controller. You have the right to receive your Information in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and, if technically feasible, to have it transmitted to another controller without any hindrance. This provision is applicable provided that the Information is processed by automated means and that the processing is based on your consent, on a contract which you are part of or on pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Lodge a complaint. You have the right to bring a claim before their competent data protection authority.
The services are intended for a general audience and are not intended for and may not be used by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 and we do not target the Services to children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us using the details in the Contact Us section below. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS – PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident and you have questions about our practices concerning sharing information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes and your ability to exercise choice, please contact us at
1562 First Ave #205-2004,
New York, NY 10028
You must put the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in the body of your request, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. In the body of your request, please provide enough information for us to determine if this applies to you. Please note that we will not accept inquiries via the telephone, email, or by facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
We have implemented commercially reasonable security measures to help protect your personal information from loss, misuse, or unauthorized access or disclosure; unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your User Information, we cannot ensure its security. You use the Services and provide us with information on your initiative and risk. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us using the details in the Contact Us section below.
If you need to contact us, you can email us at email@example.com, or send us a letter at:
1562 First Ave #205-2004,
New York, NY 10028